Hey there, fellow thrill-seekers and mountain biking fanatics! We’ve got a special treat for you today – a one-on-one with the Aussie mountain biking legend himself, Jake Newell. Jake’s got tales of adventure and passion to share, so strap on your helmets, because it’s going to be a wild ride!
1. Jake’s Journey into Mountain Biking
Picture young Jake, a kid who had a deep-rooted love for bushwalking up his local mountain. There was something about the rugged terrain, the rocky trails, and the untouched natural beauty that had him hooked. But, as they say, life throws surprises at you. One fine day, while exploring what he thought was just another walking trail, Jake was taken aback by the sudden appearance of mountain bikers zooming past him. It was like a lightning bolt of inspiration – he had to give this a shot. And so, at the age of 16, Jake’s mountain biking adventure took its first pedal strokes.
2. Epic Moments in Jake’s Riding Career
Fast forward a bit, and Jake found himself donning the green and gold as he represented Australia at the 2017 Downhill World Championships in Cairns. Now, imagine the rush! Racing on the world stage is a dream come true for any rider, but the fact that he did it on home turf, with Aussie fans cheering him on, made it all the more unforgettable. Jake knows how to make memories on those mountain slopes!
3. Aussie Mountain Biking Trails: What’s on the Menu
Australia’s got a buffet of mountain biking trails, and Jake’s here to dish out the details. We’re talking three main flavours:
- Downhill: These are for the speed demons who crave those steep drops and technical challenges that set the heart racing.
- Enduro or Flow Feasts: The perfect blend of adrenaline and endurance, often with those perfectly crafted flow sections that’ll have you grinning from ear to ear.
- Cross Country Cruises: Ideal for those who prefer a more leisurely pace, soaking in the breathtaking natural scenery as they go.
4. Trail Recommendations: Where the Pros Play
If you’re itching for a challenge or want to tick off some iconic trails in Australia, Jake’s got your back:
- Maydena Bike Park (Tasmania): With approximately 900 metres of elevation, this park is a playground for riders looking to level up their skills. It’s brimming with technical natural trails that are perfect for honing your abilities.
- Derby (Tasmania): A chill spot with a unique terrain twist, perfect for riders who want a fun, more laid-back experience.
- Thredbo (New South Wales): As the only lift-accessed bike park in Australia, Thredbo offers a wide range of trails suitable for riders of all skill levels. It’s where you get the best bang for your buck!
5. The Aussie Mountain Biking Tribe
Now, let’s talk about the amazing community that fuels the mountain biking scene Down Under. Jake can vouch for it – Aussie mountain bikers are the friendliest bunch around. They’re always up for a ride, and when it comes to trail maintenance, they’re there with their sleeves rolled up. Connecting with fellow riders is as easy as pie, and there’s always a warm welcome waiting for newcomers.
6. Tips for First-Timers
Thinking of giving mountain biking a whirl? Jake’s got some golden advice for you. Start by paying a visit to your local bike shop. These folks aren’t just experts in the field; they’re often riders themselves and can guide you in choosing the right gear and introducing you to the local trails. Additionally, don’t forget to explore apps like Strava and Trailforks – they’re your trusty companions for discovering nearby trails and connecting with the biking community.
7. Pro Tips You Wish You Knew
Jake’s been around the biking block for a while, and he’s got some golden nuggets of wisdom to share. One of the most overlooked aspects, especially for beginners, is bike setup. Getting your bike dialled in just right can make your rides a hundred times more enjoyable. It’s something Jake wishes he’d known earlier in his riding journey. So don’t be afraid to experiment, make adjustments, or even seek advice from more experienced riders. It’s all about finding that sweet spot.
8. Jake’s Future Dreams and Giving Back
So, what’s on Jake’s horizon? Well, he plans to keep on pedalling, exploring the world with his trusty bike by his side. But here’s the exciting part: Jake dreams of giving back to the sport that’s given him so much. He wants to share his love for mountain biking by coaching kids and initiating mountain biking programs in local schools. Imagine the thrill of introducing a whole new generation to the joys of off-road biking!
Fun Fact: Jake Newell will be attending the upcoming Avoca Beach screening of Radical Reels (Saturday 21st October) for a Q&A! Don’t miss out on this conversation – get your tickets here